BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Finally...done!

Hello!

Been a while, hasn't it?  Were you thinking I went off to Nashville and never came home??  I came home but   I've been running non-stop since then.  I anticipate the next few weeks being more of the same.

A while back I finished the Strawberry Hill Sampler from With Thy Needle and said I would show it when I was done with the finishing of it.  That finally happened today!  I really like how it turned out so if you hate it, please keep it to yourself!  LOL!!

I found this box at Hobby Lobby some time ago and have been waiting for something to put on the top.  Originally when I was stitching Strawberry Hill I intended to mount it on the candy box it calls for but then I remembered I had this box in the basement and decided to use it instead.

BEFORE:


AFTER:




I love it.  Dan sanded the box so it was nice and smooth, primed it and then I painted an undercoat of red followed by black and then a dark gray.  Dan then did a bit of distressing on it.  After that he flocked my drawers or my box, however you wish to call it (we've been having a lot of fun with that one!) and then  I mounted my piece on the top. I wish he could have flocked my box with black but apparently there is a shortage of black flock and I would have had to wait 6 weeks.  Who knew you could have a shortage of flocking???  Being the impatient soul that I am I didn't want to wait so he used the least offensive color he could find.

INSIDE:


The drawers are removable for extra storage
HARDWARE & DISTRESSING



The box originally had a mirror in the inside mounted on the lid but I wasn't feeling it so I covered that up with fabric that I button tufted.  First time I tried that but it was really pretty easy to do.
I added my little bits and bobbles and it's finished and on display at the shop.  We're going to finish a second box in case someone comes into the shop and wants one but I have no clue what to price it at.  I'll have to ponder that one for a while.

I had a bit of a stressful day today and I'm tired so I'm going cut this short.  Hope you are all doing well out there in blogland.

OH!  One last thing...someone asked and I am too lazy to go look now who it was but they wanted to know the designer of the bare butted folks that I showed in the Needleart  Exhibit a post or so ago.  It's a kit from Design Works and can be found on the Herrschners website.  

Take care till next time!

Julie

35 comments:

Karen said...

OMG....love it! I want one too! You did a great job finishing.

Kathy L. said...

I LOVE it! It turned out beautiful. I especially love the tufted material inside the box. All of it just gorgeous .

Kathy

Lynn Bourke said...

Wow! I love it! You have finished it well...

Faye said...

The box is perfect Julie!!! I love te inside as much as the outside!!!!! I will need to check out Hobby Lobby....

Faye said...

The box is perfect Julie!!! I love te inside as much as the outside!!!!! I will need to check out Hobby Lobby....

Meari said...

Love the box! Congrats on a great finish. The drawers came with the box? I'll have to get myself one of those. How do you button tuft?

Shirlee said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Congrats on a great finish!

Katrina said...

Love, love, love your box and the inside is wonderful too!!!!!!!

Carol said...

Wow!! What a masterpiece, Julie--I really love everything about it :)

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous finished piece you created! Way to go!

Robin in Virginia

Deb said...

Wow, wow, wow!!! Your box is wonderful!! I wonder if Hobby Lobby has more of those. I've have to check. I have a piece that I think would fit into one of those and after seeing yours I know I have to try to make one also. I love it!!

Paisley said...

Gorgeous!

Vickie said...

Gorgeous! Just stunning. You two did very, very well. =)

Phyllis said...

Your box looks great! I like how you did the inside of the lid. Any tips?

Blu said...

Congrats! It's absolutely gorgeous.

moosecraft said...

Oh my goodness! What an absolutely stunning heirloom piece! It's beautiful! The stitching, the distressing, the flocking and the cushioning on the inside lid... love.it.all!!!! You have me wanting to hop in me car and rush to HL to see if I can find one of those boxes... ;-)

dixiesamplar said...

STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS, Julie! Now, you know that you are going to need to create a tutorial for all of us when you make up the next one...I just have to have one of my very own, LOL! Off to HL to get my box, toodles!!

dixiesamplar said...

Don't forget to show us how to do the button tufting in the top :-)

Ruth said...

Beautiful -- absolutely beautiful !!!! Congratulations.... I'm sue the second box will be a hit in the shop.

Kathy said...

It is to die for love. I absolutely love your finish. I am now go to have to make the 3 hour drive to my nearest Hobby Lobby and see if they have more boxes. You and hubby did a great job!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, that is gorgeous!

Paulette said...

ABSOLUTELY TO DIE FOR!!!

Paulette

Paulette said...

ABSOLUTELY TO DIE FOR!!!

Paulette

Miss LindaLee said...

A beautiful finish and the box is the perfect way to display it. It looks like it was made for the box actually. Love the paint and everything. Great job.
LindaLee from
CrossN' My Stitches

Stitching Cat said...

Hi Julie, I tried to email you but was unsuccessful! I just finished stitching Strawberry Hill and wonder if you would be willing to finish mine on your second box? Please email me at hgbfmh(at)gmail(dot)com. I love your finish and prefer this to the candy box, which I have but have not yet painted. Hope to hear from you!

Susan said...

What a great finish (on both of your parts!!)

Anna van Schurman said...

If I wrote on my blog that my husband had "flocked my box" I'd never hear the end of the jokes from my family. :)
It looks great.

Maggee said...

What a wonderful, wonderful job you and hubby did with that box! I especially love the tufted lid--something I have not seen before, but it is definitely on my list of finishes to try now! Thanks for sharing! Have a Happy Easter! Hugs!

Kevin said...

That box you finished is so beautiful! Really love that. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Yοuг ѕtyle іs unіque comρагed
to other fоlks I havе гead stuff fгom.
Thank you for posting whеn you've got the opportunity, Guess I'll just bоok mark thiѕ site.



Also ѵіsit my homepage; cliquez ici

Ellen said...

Just love it, absolutely gorgeous!

Hugs,

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous! I want one!! Need to see if Hobby Lobby mail orders :)

Also, it was me that was wondering about the naked people. Thank you!! I must have it...to add to the million other must have's

Wanda in Canada

Anonymous said...

Beautiful box. I have had that same one for quite some time and have an idea of what to stitch but i love the tufted part you did. Can you describe how to do that?

Anonymous said...

Did you keep the mirror in your box or remove it? If you put a tutorial together or have a link for the tufted top instructions I would be so grateful.

Anonymous said...

Will you be making a tutorial on how to finish this box..including the tufting? My box is purchased and ready. :)